About the Caesar Rodney Institute
Caesar Rodney Institute is a respected non-profit, nonpartisan, public policy research organization in Delaware that provides the public, state and local legislators and their staffs, and private sector corporations with opportunities to work together to develop policies and programs that promote economic freedoms, limited government, and civil liberties.
About the Role
In the last two years, CRI has accomplished a number of public policy successes on a modest budget. After rigorous review, CRI's efforts have been recognized by two foundations with five and six figure grants, and with two personal gifts, also of five and six figures.
With the leadership of the new Director of Development, CRI's objective is to now secure charitable support on a more reliable basis so the organization can continue to implement new public policy initiatives - thus expanding the breadth of its influence - while simultaneously diversifying its private support base.
The primary objective of this position is to develop and implement an ambitious and comprehensive, yet targeted fundraising program capable of identifying and successfully securing more philanthropic support from individuals, foundations, and corporations for CRI's programmatic and operating priorities.
To those ends, the Director of Development will formulate an annual departmental plan with a range of goals and strategies designed to increase gift income and the participation and effectiveness of CRI's Directors.
This position will report to the Executive Director and will work in collaboration with a major gifts consultant. The hours are flexible for this role and it can be executed virtually from within the state of Delaware or nearby in surrounding states.
- Identify, research and cultivate potential major gift prospects from CRI's lists and records of current and former donors & members, or individuals who may share an interest in CRI's mission and goals
- Identify and prioritize new individuals, corporations, and foundations most likely to consider a significant investment in CRI's program or operating needs
- In collaboration with the Board of Directors and Executive Director implement both short and long-term strategies to secure donor's generous participation
- Coordinate the effective participation of all Directors and the Executive Director in donor cultivation and / or solicitation activities.
- Write and submit all foundation and corporate proposals as well as personalized solicitation letters to individuals
- Continually evaluate and upgrade CRI's annual giving campaign as well as its net revenue
- In collaboration with the Director of Communications, research the practicality and timing of new fundraising initiatives (e.g., special events), secure necessary approvals from the Executive Director, and help implement as decided
- Contribute reports, updates and articles of interest as requested for CRI's newsletters, press releases, and fund raising and marketing materials.
- Increase awareness and positive perceptions of CRI in Delaware, especially in its philanthropic community
- Represent the CRI at appropriate community functions and events
- 6-8 years of development experience with proven success
- Alignment with and passion for the mission of CRI
- Superior communications and presentation skills effective with a range of audiences (volunteers, CRI staff, executives of foundations and corporations, board members)
- Ability to collect pertinent data, draw conclusions, make credible recommendations to CRI's leaders
- Proactive and high energy work style
- Attention to detail
- Strong Organizational skills
- Working knowledge of development software and basic research databases
- Ability to travel up to 20% within the state of DE
- Bachelors Degree preferred but not required
- An understanding of the New Castle County philanthropic environment - and the individuals prominent in those circles - is a major plus
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position/the mission of CRI
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Director of Network Engagement of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.